This October, a group of maths presenters got together some mathematicians, magicians and other cool people to put on a 24-hour long online YouTube mathematical magic show. Each half-hour had a different special guest sharing a mathematical magic trick of some kind, giving a total of 48 tricks for you to watch and puzzle over (and since was Hallowe’en, we included some treats as well).
The guests included:
- Mathematician and RI Christmas Lecturer Hannah Fry
- Stand-up Mathematician Matt Parker
- Professional speed Rubik’s cuber Sydney Weaver
- Popular science author Simon Singh
- Mathematician and presenter Katie Steckles
- Numberphile and YouTube star James Grime
- Mathematician and author Eugenia Cheng
- University Challenge star Bobby Seagull
- YouTuber/Game Show host Tom Scott
- Maths teacher and BBC Radio 4 puzzle writer Susan-Louise Okereke
You can find a full list of guests, and links to their parts of the show here.
The show took place alongside Mark Watson’s 24-hour comedy show Watsonathon, which we appeared on at three points during the day/night (first, second, third). Both shows were raising money for the charity Turn2Us which helps people in low-income jobs & gives out emergency grants, and the Comedy Support Act, supporting comedians and other performers who have little/no income at this time. You can still donate on Mark’s fundraiser page.